Product Safety Consulting Presents…
We are pleased to introduce Denise Dougherty as the newest member of the Product Safety Consulting (PSC) team. Denise, who started July 2015, is an accomplished engineer with an MBA that includes extensive knowledge in compliance certification and business development. Denise has worked for and with notable Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories (NRTLs) for over 17 years and brings manufacturing and international experience.
Prior to PSC, Denise worked at Underwriters Laboratories (UL) for over 15 years. During her tenure she developed a unique knowledge of how UL and other notable NRTLs conduct business. She started out as a project engineer, worked as a subject matter expert (SME) and managed teams of technical and nontechnical staff and completed her career as Global Business Manager for UL Verification Services. Denise is also an active member in the Chicago chapter of the Society of Women Engineers where she brings leadership and passion for women in the math and sciences.
Denise grew up in Wellington, OH. She is an avid Cleveland Browns fan and especially a fan of Peyton Manning. Just like the Cub fans Denise is hoping the Cleveland Browns will participate in a Super Bowl during her lifetime. As a goal oriented person Denise has completed two Chicago Marathons and several sprint triathlons.
Denise also enjoys volunteering to causes close to her heart such as: Public Action to Deliver Shelter (PADS), Habitat for Humanity, and her local Community Emergency Response Team (CERT).
Join us in welcoming our Senior Project Engineer, Denise Dougherty.
Obtaining the China Compulsory Certification (CCC) Mark is not as simple as learning your ABC’s
The CCC Mark is the national quality and safety mark accepted in China. The mark is the most common conformity assessment mark in China.
It is required for 159 products in 23 categories. CNCA drafts the list of products (the “catalogue”) to be included in the CCC system.
If a product is included in the catalogue, it may NOT be marketed, imported, or sold in China without the mark. For products that are not listed in the catalogue, other types of conformity assessment may be necessary for market acceptance.
Only designated certification bodies (DCB’s) can issue the CCC Mark and label for manufacturers for products under their respective scope.
It is important to note that the certification is required only for those products which will be sold to the final customer.
Latest CCC Mandatory Product Categories List:
- Electrical wires and cables
- Switches for circuits, installation protective and connection devices
- Low-voltage electrical apparatus
- Small power motors
- Power electric tools
- Welding machines
- Household and similar electrical appliances
- Audio and video apparatus (not including the acoustics apparatus for broadcasting service and automobiles)
- Information technology equipment
- Lighting apparatus (not including the lighting apparatus with the voltage lower than 36V)
- Telecommunication terminal equipment
- Motor vehicles and safety parts
- Motor vehicle tires
- Safety glasses
- Agricultural machinery
- Latex products
- Medical devices – only those which are electronic or have electrical part
- Fire Protection/ fighting equipment
- Detectors for intruder alarm systems
- Wireless LAN Products
- Decoration Products and refurbishing materials
- Information Security Products
The products listed in the above-mentioned catalogue must obtain a CCC license and impose CCC before they can enter the Chinese market.
The broad categories are further broken down into 132 product categories.
Apply for a CCC Mark
Obtaining the CCC Mark involves an application process to authorized Chinese certification bodies. The application process can take several months, and can cost upward from USD 4,500 in fees. Some companies manage the application process themselves while others choose to rely on consultants who can handle all aspects of the application process. The process includes sending testing samples to a Chinese laboratory and testing in those labs to ensure the products meet safety and/or electrical standards. A factory inspection of the applicant’s factories, to determine whether the product line matches the samples tested in China, is also required. Finally, Chinese testing authorities approve the design and application of the CCC logo on the applicant’s products.
An overview of the process includes:
- Application. Submission of an application and supporting materials that include user guides, Certification Bodies reports, EMC reports, regulatory labels and other information.
- Type Testing. A CNCA-designated test laboratory (DTL) in China will test product samples.
- Factory Inspection. Representatives will be sent to inspect each factory that produces and ships products to China. If multiple facilities are used for production, multiple inspections will be required.
- Evaluation of certification results and approval (or failure / retesting)
- Follow-Up Factory Inspection. Manufacturing facilities for the product will be re-inspected by Chinese officials every 12-18 months
Key Points for China CCC Certification:
- Testing must be performed in China and must be done by an approved laboratory
- Auditors from China must perform the initial factory inspections
- CCC certificates need to be renewed annually
Obtaining CCC Certification can be a lengthy, expensive and challenging process.
Product Safety Consulting can help! Contact us with any questions regarding your certification needs.